This grilled cheese can be easily made without the bacon or with another protein, like pulled pork or maybe some chorizo, yum. This recipe will make 4 large sandwiches and you’ll have extra mac and cheese for lunch tomorrow.
Macaroni and Cheese:
- 1 package elbow macaroni (or shells or cavatappi or whatever you have on hand!)
- 1/4 cup of butter (use ghee if making non-dairy)
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 1/4 cups of whole milk or half and half (use unflavored and unsweetened almond milk if making non-dairy)
- 2 cups of shredded cheese mix – I like one with cheddar and monterey jack (I have had the best luck with goveggie cheddar slices if making non-dairy)
- Salt and pepper
- Sourdough bread
- Bacon- Around 2 slices per sandwich
- Jalapenos- 2, seeds removed and slices
- Hot sauce
Cook bacon until crispy then pull into small pieces. Next, cook the jalapenos for a minute or two in hot bacon grease. If you want some crunch and want to maintain the full spicy flavor, keep the jalapenos raw and proceed at your own risk.
Boil water in a large pan and cook noodles according to the instructions. While noodles are cooking, make the cheese sauce.
In a large saucepan, melt the butter over a medium heat. Once the butter is melted, add the flour and stir so the flour and butter meld together into a nice paste, about 2 minutes. Next, add your 1/2 and 1/2 (or whole milk, but let’s just be real here, you may as well just go for it) and whisk consistently for about 4 minutes or until the milk is nice and hot and has completely combined with the flour/butter mixture. Turn off heat and add the cheese, stirring together until well combined. Add the drained but hot noodles and stir.
Butter one side of the bread slices then put the buttered side down onto a skilled warmed to medium heat. I prefer my cast iron skillet for grilled cheese but any will work. Load it up with the mac and cheese, bacon, jalapenos and hot sauce, if desired. Top with the second bread slice. Flip after the bottom bread slice is nice and brown. Cook until both sides look delish. Enjoy!